Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Two worlds

Some days go along so well. Everything goes smoothly, things fall into place at just the right moment. Going through the day, there’s no rushing or waiting, just smooth sailing. Tasks go off without a hitch, the sun is shining, and you think, all is right with the world. For some reason, when I have a day like this I forget that somewhere somebody’s life is just the opposite.

Yesterday, that somebody was my neighbor. My husband and I have gotten fairly close to them since moving in three years ago. Willie and Margaret were married less then a month ago and we were the only non-family members invited. It was an honor. The ceremony was small and held in their living room. The minister was from Georgia and had to be the most southern man I have ever met! The story of how this wedding came to be is a touching one. I don’t know all the details, but what I do know is that this wedding was a long time coming. As a mixed race teenage couple, they were torn apart by ignorant, callous people. Many years later they met again for a chance at what should have been. They both had loved, married, and lost others, but never forgot each other. One day, Margaret heard the soulful cry of a blues guitar on the radio knew it was her long lost love, Willie. She took a chance, called the station, and sure enough it was him. The rest is history.

Last night, as I was having my near perfect day, I noticed an ambulance out front. The paramedics were across the street at Willie and Margaret’s house. My heart sank. I wanted to run over, but didn’t want to get in the way. I waited at my door for what seemed like forever! Then two paramedics emerged helping Willie walk to his car!! Margaret was close behind with her keys. I ran over, confused and asked if I help. She explained that Will had a stroke and the ambulance wouldn’t take him to Christian NE where his doctor was. She had to drive him. I asked if I could drive her and she was more worried about how I would get back home from the hospital! That concern waved away she asked if I could just ride with them, make some calls and park the car after we arrived to the EMG. So I did. Willie looked so frail. I asked him how he was holding up, he said his vision was blurry and he felt weak. His smile gone, Willie was a shadow of himself. He tried to talk, but began to mumble. I watched him as he passed out, straining the seatbelt that held him. I thought holy shit what do I do?? I know CPR…sorta, it’s been awhile! Slumped over in his seat Willie rocked and swayed all the way there, all I could do was place one hand on his shoulder and one on hers; man was that a long ride. Once at the hospital he was awake again but unable to walk. I took the car and left them at the EMG room entrance. Forty five minutes later I was on my way home, in a cab, smelling the most awful cologne ever. Once home, I walked around aimlessly, discombobulated. I felt completely out of sorts. Then all of a sudden, out of the blue I started to cry. How fragile life is! How unfair! How one person’s perfect day could be another’s absolute horror. How neither will know the other extreme exist unless they collide. To be completely oblivious… I don’t have the words to explain how lost I felt. I went to bed contemplating life and wondering how Willie was.

Today, Margaret called, Willie is home. The doctors prescribed a baby aspirin a day…crazy. She told me that last month he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and is going through chemo. As happy as I am that he is home and okay I can’t help but prepare for more of this to come. Willie’s a strong cat though, I know I’ll see his smiling face belt out more blues before he’s done with this world!!

Here is Willie’s web site! Check it out, his music is fabulous.

Many of the songs are about his re-discovered true love. http://www.blueladyenterprises.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home